We visited only two churches last Good Friday, out of the originally planned five churches for our Visita Iglesia itenerary for this year, since we headed out already late in the afternoon.
Our first stop was at the National Shrine of the Sacred Heart in Makati City. It had already started to get dark when we reached the church, but we were able to do the Stations of the Cross inside the compound, along with other visitors.
|The National Shrine of the Sacred Heart|
|Inside the church|
|The 9th Station|
What I found particularly interesting in their version of the Stations of the Cross is that for every station, there is a corresponding activity that will help you feel, understand and contemplate more on the readings and reflection of each station. For me, it gives more meaning to the act, rather than just merely reciting the words.
|Activity for the 9th Station|
|Red pieces of paper with several scribbled notes pasted on the Cross|
|My Little Lady and my niece cutting a piece of what represents as Christ's cloth during crucifixion|
|BandAid paper where people can write their emotional wounds and paste them on the Cross|
|My Little Lady carried the Cross while reflecting on this station|
|The 13th Station|
|Our Lady of Sorrows|
|Jesus in His tomb|
|Painting of The Sacred Heart of Jesus photo courtesy of the NSSH website|
THE 12 PROMISES OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS
Every First Friday of each month, devout and faithful Catholics consecrate to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the spirit of reparation. Jesus Christ Himself made the following promises to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, in favor of those who fervently practice and promote this devotion.
1. I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
2. I will give peace in their families.
3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
4. I will be their security and refuge during life, and above all, in death.
5. I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
6. Sinners will find in My Heart the Source, and Infinite Ocean of Mercy.
7. Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9. I will bless every place in which an Image of My Heart is exposed and honored.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart.
12. I promise you in the excessive Mercy of My Heart, that My all powerful Love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months, the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in My disgrace, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
NATIONAL SHRINE OF THE SACRED HEART
4 Sacred Heart St., San Antonio Village, 1203 Makati City, Philippines
Tel. (+632) 895-6331 / (+632) 890-5357
Fax: (+632) 899-6340
Mobile: (+63) 0922-8981006
Office Hours are from Tuesdays-Sundays
8:00 AM-12:00 NN / 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
SCHEDULE OF CELEBRATIONS
Rector / Parish Priest: Rev. Fr. Victor Y. Apacible
Resident Guest Priests: Msgr. Romeo A. Violeta / Rev. Fr. Rogelio A. Orpiada
6:00 AM, 6:45 AM and 7:30 AM * 12:15 PM * 6:00 PM
SATURDAY MASSES: 6:00 AM, 6:45 AM, 7:30 AM
ANTICIPATED MASSES: 5:00 PM / 6:30 PM (Tagalog)
6:00 AM, 7:30 AM (Tagalog), 9:00 AM, 10:30 AM 12:00 NN
2:30 PM (Children's Mass Tagalog), 4:00 PM (Tagalog),
5:30 PM, 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM
SPECIAL MASSES - Second Sunday
7:30 AM Mass for the Elderly (Tagalog)
5:30 PM Mass for the Youth
|St. Andrew the Apostle Parish Church|
Our second and last stop was at St. Andrew the Apostle Parish Church. I only took one photo, but marveled at the design and structure inside, that veers away from the regular architecture of most churches.
The church was very solemn, and the instrumental music that was playing that time rendered the place more conducive for praying and deep reflection.
ST. ANDREW THE APOSTLE PARISH
62 Constellation Street, Bel-Air II Makati City, Philippines
Tel. (+632) 890-1796
SUNDAY MASS SCHEDULE
6:30am - Filipino
8:00am - English
9:30am - English
11:00am - English
12:15nn - English
3:30pm - Filipino
5:00pm - English
6:30pm - English
8:00pm - English
Overall, our shortened Visita Iglesia this year was spiritually enriching, nevertheless. For it lies not on how many churches one has visited, but the quality of prayer one has completed in the journey.
Hope you all had a blessed and meaningful Holy Week.